Janet thank you. I can see what you're talking about; that first part about
slinking I can relate to better than to the messenger deal. what's a little
stingy for me is that I realise & feel that it WAS me who wrote the poem,
and that this reaction is genuine and is due to an ability I have. maybe
it's the admitting that I'm good, to myself or rather admitting it to
others. I suppose that even though I always speak out against the whole
"writing for yourself" spiel, there's more of that in me than I've cared to
acknowledge; *I'm* already happy with the poem, I don't need anything else
for myself. so why did I enter the competition at all? because I wanted to;
but now I have unplaced feelings of doubt after winning. dunno. it'll pass
I'm fairly certain.
I preferred getting published in a magazine, that way you don't have to look
people in the eye and hear their compliments. also most of the people
congratulating me don't know much at all about poetry; makes me feel a bit
of a fraud maybe, like the judgement is worthless. these are weary thoughts.
it's almost four in the morning.

I just told my girlfriend on the phone earlier that I hope there is no
ceremony, haha. she figured there probably won't be, and she's probably
right. I'll probably hear about it tomorrow from the organisers &/or
judge(s) (there were many). of course it would also be nice in its own way.
and I bet standing in front of people at a shindig like that would feel
better than back-pats -- those sound slightly hollow to me no matter who
says them, and in spite of myself. not coming from all of you though; you
don't dish out compliments as easily, I would think. I'm grateful.

and the poem will be published on the dept's webpage at least, don't know
about anything else. will let you know.

KS