Alison, I'm playing 'catch-up', just read your smashing essay on Barry's
*Ecstasy* in your Theatre Notes:
 http://theatrenotes.com/2008/08/on-ecstasy.html

Really do feel that theatre's your 'thang', Ms A.

As if, apparently, remembering that, I put in a last bit for you - and
others - in this yesterday's comment to Groan [Guardian] online article on
critics vs theatre bloggers:

Dec 06 08, 5:23am

Yes, indeed, definitely. May I present some further logic and then a
proposal:

1) Bloggers're great, fine, and likely to be as astute, professional,
thorough, backgrounded, and entertaining as paid critics----and as quixotic,
odd-focused, ill-tempered, and 'out to lunch', as paid critics, as well.
Blogs, yes, excellent, on the reasonable principle that more is better. But
blogs do not have the grabability of a major newspaper. This and other
newspapers [online or in print] draw readers in far greater numbers than
individual blogs can.

2) Most theatre critics have not been Educated Properly for their
role---which I find all the better for what they must do: see a lot of
plays, do a lot of research, grow along with the growing theatre community,
develop the long view that inevitably opens an impassioned observer to
worthy, fresh work. They don't necessarily need a uni degree in any aspect
of the theatre; they do need play-immersion out of sheer adoration for it,
and they need A Life other than theatre.

That said, even dedicated bloggers are few who would attend 12 plays a month
for years, and for each play submit a review that's responsible, detailed,
and helpful to theatre practitioners as well as theatre-goers. We have,
then, the continuing need for newspaper-paid theatre critics. In fact, I
propose the need for MORE newspaper-paid theatre critics.

3) We need more because we need to have more information. We need to hear
the unheard gossip, be moved to visit less-familiar-to-us play venues, find
out more of the techniques of playwrighting, acting, directing, scene-,
costume-, lighting-, sound- and movement-design. We need to hear it from the
folk who actually work in those areas. Hence,

4) I propose Guest Critics in addition to main critics. A different Guest
Critic each month could be 'found' and tapped by the newspaper, or they
could volunteer themselves by submitting several reviews to recommend them
for the monthly spot. They could, as well, be from other countries reporting
on plays they've seen in their native lands.

Surely this newspaper in this nation can manage enthusiastic inclusion in
its theatre criticism as well as in its theatres.