Jon, the same interp first occurred to me when I had a baby.  Makes perfect
sense.  It also partly resembles OE riddles that are so beautifully written.

Here's what a friend's copy of Iona and Peter Opie's venerable _Oxford
Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes_ [1992 ed] states:
Hush-a-bye, baby, on the tree top,
When the wind blows the cradle will rock;
When the bough breaks the cradle will fall,
Down will come baby, cradle, and all.

The best-known lullaby both in England and America, it is regularly crooned
in hundreds of thousands of homes at nightfall.  The age of both the rhyme
and the melody, which is a variant of 'Lilliburlero', is uncertain.  The
words are first found in _Mother Goose's Melody_ (c. 1765) with the
footnote, 'This may serve as a Warning to the Proud and Ambitious, who climb
so high that they generally fall at last'.  Imaginations have been stretched
to give the rhyme significance.  Gerald Massey in _Ancient Egypt_ suggests
that the babe is the child Horus.  Joseph Ritson states that the opening
phrase of his version, 'Bee baw babby lou, on a tree top', is a corruption
of the French nurse's threat in the fable, _He bas! la le loup!_  Gosset
says, 'On a tree-top---or green boh (bough)'.  Note that boh rhymes with
rock, and top fails to do so.' (Boh is a Saxon word.)  The authorship has
been attributed to a Pilgrim youth who went over in the Mayflower and who
was influenced by the way the Red Indian hung his birch-bark cradle on the
branch of a tree.  It has been said to be 'the first poem produced on
American soil' (Book Lover, 1904)  Other American authorities, including
Metro Goldwin Mayer (1944) have seen it as a lampoon on the British royal
line in James II's time.  In _The Scots Musical Museum_ (1797) appears a
nursery song 'O can ye sew cushions?', which Burns submitted.  In his second
edition of the _Scotish Minstrel_ (1823, IV) R.A. Smith gives, as the second
stanza of 'O can ye sew cushions?':

I biggit the cradle on the tree top,
And the wind it did blow, and the cradle did rock, And hee and baw, birdie,
&c.

and William Stenhouse produced a similar second verse to the song in 1839.
 This seems to be another hint that long ago, in Britain, as in other
countries, cradles were rocked by wind power.  (Cf. also the 1915 quote of
'Bye, baby bunting'.)

--------
None of this, Jon, seems to preclude our interpretation---which may be the
original composer's 'riddling' intent.

Best,

Judy