From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Christopher C Jones
Sent: 20 December 2008 08:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On Sublime Computer Chips

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 09:06 -0700, Douglas Barbour wrote:
> With reference to Max's post, Gibson wrote this on a typewriter!

Lets start a thread naming our favourite typewriters. I was never really
fond of the IBM golf ball. The three Olivetti would have to be me.

Ha! Typewriters, such wonderful things. And editing 30 character double
space typewritten copy with a blue pencil the typesetter could not
decode. Stet, I tell him, stet, oh and that means delete that scrawl. It
being all to much for the typesetter I was forced to learn the obscure
control coding of orange text on grey dumb terminal feeding The
Operating System which spooled to The Typesetter.

I wrote my undergrad and graduate degrees on an Olivetti Studio
electric, grey and green, what a typewriter! Well, not exactly, working
in real estate advertising, I had enough excess funds (after paying my
coke dealer) to purchase a Mac SE during my final undergrad year. So for
my graduate thesis I hand wrote the first draft, typed the second on the
Olivetti Studio and the final draft I typed on the Mac SE and set with
Ready Set Go.

I really must kerb my technological desires. Kerb, as lying in the
gutter looking at the stars. My great uncle Wilkins owned a typewriter
and did not take a wife.