Folktales, fairytales and nursery rhymes are not exclusively the
property of children, but they often survive because parents know
that children love them. The folklorist Alan Dundes' "Cinderella: A
Casebook" is a classic--a compendium of versions of the story from
around the world and interpretations. Especially wonderful is an
unintentionally hysterical essay by a psychoanalyst interpreting a
moment of cheekiness of his preadolescent daughter's in terms of a
psychodynamic analysis of the story. One pities the little girl, but
more the father, who can't quite make it through the fog of his own
creation. And there's an account of the telling of the story in a
farmhouse in a remote corner of Italy, which should answer any
questions about how stories manage to remain intact for centuries.

Mark