Hi
I'm a long time lurker on this forum & first time poster... I've been prompted to make a
comment after reading Chris Rust's post.

Chris writes: '...every student should develop a methodology that is theirs and specific to
the problem that they investigate. Sadly too many students imagine that the problem of
research is to simply select a methodology from a book of available recipes, often before
they have made any real progress in understanding their research problem.'

Whilst I agree strongly with the assertion about students developing their own specific
methodology, I do feel that the tendency to select from a book of available recipes is
very often not the student's fault. I am always wary when academics make claims about
what students don't do - usually it means we haven't adequately told the student what is
expected - or possible!

One might also look to the generic nature of some (though not all) university 'research
training', and to the plethora of such methodological 'recipe books' brought out by
academic presses hungry to capture a few pounds from anxious new PhD researchers.
Writing from my own point of view (as a senior lecturer in fine art) I witness a lot of
students who have come to PhD research from an existing art practice and who feel
incredibly worried about the 'propriety' of their research methodology/s. It is easy for
them to feel that the existing approaches they have established are inevitably inadequate
to the job and to reach as a result for off the peg methodologies that seem tried & trusted
in the field. I'm not sure we are very successful at assuaging these worries.

Chris's point about students making methodological decisions 'before they have
made any real progress in understanding their research problem' is another interesting
one. It makes me think about Bruno Latour's critique of the adoption of frameworks
before one has really encountered and described whatever it is that one is studying. (I'm
thinking of the interlude between himself and an imagined PhD student that forms a
central section in his book 'Reassembling the Social'). I'm curious whether the early
requirement to assert one's methodology (as in most university/AHRC?ESRC research
applications/registration forms) might be a negative factor in all this. What would happen
if this element was articulated differently or at a different point - would that make a
positive impact upon the situation Chris correctly identifies?