From: Chris Rust Sat 12/13/2008 8:17 AM
> Maybe we need some research into
> whether a picture is really worth 1000 words,

Chris,

Ralph Caplan gave a talk at the 1987 AIGA conference in San Francisco. It later turned into an article--exactly one thousand words on the subject of a picture being worth a thousand words. As I remember, he said that the proverb was originally ten thousand and he wondered why the promoters of picture value had deflated the claim.

In the same talk/essay he said that when client would say "I know what I want to say; I just can't put it into words" he'd say "What do you have it in now?"

Gunnar
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
1901 East 6th Street
Greenville, North Carolina 27858