From: Terence Love [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tue 12/9/2008 6:44 PM
To: 'A.B.Thorpe'; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: another pattern language

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your message and your clarification of what you are doing. Thank
you also for the references.

Thinking about what you wrote I feel work in this area requires especial
ontological care.

Alexander is talking about a pattern _language_

You are talking about a categorization model of 'patterns'

The term 'language' is significant. A 'language' requires nouns (names of
'things')) and verbs (operators). Nouns are the essence of categories and
typologies. However, typologies, taxonomies  and category schema are
essentially 'noun-based' (they name things as belonging to a particular
'type' and do not require the existence of 'verbs'.

It means that with a pattern _language_ Alexander et al were looking at
things in terms of an 'entity-relationship' model in which the relationships
were the verb, 'doing' words or operators. This is foundational if you want
to link this work to the shape grammar research and the idea of an
artificial intelligence engine that would generate building designs from
premises.  Another significant dimension of Alexander and colleagues work
was that they proposed a) that the solution should evolve via 'rules' and b)
that the 'pattern language' was syntactically similar to a procedural
computer language and AI-base CAD system that could follow as a simple
technical development and c) that they had scope for human interference or
initiation of the rules chosen as the basis for evolving a solution. In a
hidden subterfuginous manner, they offered non-technical design theorists an
easy to understand introduction to AI-driven development of shape
grammar-based designs.

In contrast, what you are describing is a taxonomy, typology or categorical
schema NOT a language.

Essentially, however, the difference between them depends on the relative
level of abstraction at which you view a specific taxonomy. Any
entity-relationship model can be categorized in a purely typological fashion
(e.g. we can give a verb a name thus capturing a 'doing' as a category. Of
course, it completely loses its value as a language from that view point.
Similarly, we can take any noun category and associate it with the actions
necessary to achieve it. For example, the category of 'red' can be
transformed into the 'doing' of 'redden'. In this case, in this new
language-based viewpoint, we lose the benefits of the other category-based
viewpoint (and we cannot be in both at the same time).

Thoughts?

Best wishes,
Terry