Sukanta Majumdar wrote:
> Dear Ken & All,
>
> - When you talk about methods and methodology, do you talk about the basic character of the problem/s?
> - If you understand the character of the problem/s, do you feel of talking about 'class theoretical' and 'field theoretical'?
> - If classify the theoretical, do you determine what are the methods possible within that theoretical?
> - And then justify particularly which method will you adopt, and which you will not adopt with proper reason.........

I would like to see this in a much more open way.

Methods can include anything that anybody has done before or that you
might decide might be useful to you. There is no point where you
absolutely must not adopt a specific course of action because it doesn't
fit your theoretical framework.

And that's partly because, unless you are operating in an area where the
precedents are very strong (eg most clinical trials) you cannot claim to
have a complete theoretical framework, or methodology, for for any
ambitious research until you have completed the work. In a way the
typical PhD thesis undermines this by putting the methodology chapter
near the front and I have encouraged some students to change this. By
all means have a discussion about methodology early on but show your
methodology emerging in the practice of your research and complete the
explanation in your conclusions.

So methodology has two practical meanings. You can discuss it as a
general issue, the question of methods, and that is often the first way
that students encounter it, hence the tendency to see it as a planning
or selecting activity. But there is also the question of a specific
methodology for your work, as has been explained already by Ken and
others - the theoretical framework that justifies your work in its own
context, not some general context.

There is a wider issue here about how documents skew our mental
framework. Gedenryd points this out - how Pappus of Alexandria came up
with the first theoretical model of how mathematicians work by assuming
that their creative thinking followed the same pattern as their proofs.
He was studying the product rather than the activity, despite being a
mathematician himself.

Actually for us in design, and any field that is seeking to define
itself as well as advance its knowledge, methodology can have three
meanings. My colleague and student, Simon Bowen, has coined the
expression "methodology squared" to describe the problem of research
that sets out to produce a methodology for practice or other research.
The methods of the research in hand may be very similar to those of the
future practice but the methodology will be very different.

best wishes from Sheffield
Chris

Professor Chris Rust
Head of Art and Design Research Centre
Sheffield Hallam University, S1 2NU, UK
+44 114 225 6772
www.chrisrust.net

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells