Hello,

Yes, a most interesting discussion to close out 2008.  I suppose I have more
questions than opinions on the question of ethical curatorial behavior.  My
first being, who's ethics??? Be it a person, culture, community or
institution?

Melinda brings up an interesting comparison of the writer / editor who
includes their opinions, writings and ideas in a text that has clearly been
curated /edited to explore a specialized topic.  Here the editor(s) is
viewed as an expert or one with valuable insight into the topic at hand.
And the editor's voice is expected to be included in the volume.

Roger speaks of his experience in the science community.  And perhaps I can
parallel this with my experience in the computer science
conference/publishing community.  The researcher / scientist is both the
practitioner and the judge - thus "peer" review.  Typically, careful
measures are taken to avoid conflicts of interest in accepted conference and
journal papers.  This also is the case with science / technology funding
panels.  However, it would be impossible in most scientific communities to
take the stance of not including one's work in a peer reviewed presentation
venue.  As viable contributions to that venue are highly likely to be
submitted from the reviewer's students, research associates, department and
institution - often with the reviewer listed as one of the authors.  Thus
the importance of "blind reviews".   However, I'm sure, if a social
networking study was done on any particular research oriented community,
patterns of acceptance, exclusion, and decision making power with repeat
peer judges would appear.

But is the art world any different??? In terms of the patterns of inclusion
and exclusion in  peer reviewed activities, whether or not the curator
desires to include their work?

It seems that the community of practice in new media art is growing and yet
very small leading to patterns of repeat inclusion and exclusion from the
yet to be canons of the field.

So back to my original question: who's ethics? Or what ethical system is
being viewed as the model for new media art curating?  Why have the arts,
across the ages, depended on the external expert voice for interpretation,
presentation, and historicity? Can the artists present their work in an
unbiased manor in a public venue that they play a role in organizing?

Hum..... Happy New Year!!

Pamela

Pamela Jennings, Ph.D.
Research Manager, Advanced Research Technology Lab
Banff New Media Institute
http://www.pamelajennings.org