I found that in my research when I was one of the twenty villagers involved in the Bonsall (Derbyshire) History Project which produced "Bonsall - A Village and It's History" in 2006, that old wills can often give a clue to field names.   These names in turn can be confirmed by referring to the Enclosure Award Map and schedule; and the Tithe Map and schedule for the area.   Some of these names go back hundreds of years.   In an area near Matlock where we explored lead mines in the 1950's, we later discovered that a very old barn was called a "Grange" and a few fields to the east a field was named "Hunger Hills".   We were told that "Grange" indicated a monks settlement and that "Hunger Hills" was where they went to fast.   Another field was called the "Beanclose" and yet another was called the "Goose Close".  These names were further confirmed by a Surveyor's map of 1767 drawn up to shew various mines and lead veins in that particular area.   Barmasters records for the Derbyshire lead field also include field names to mark where he measured the miner's claim to the mine.  Many of these Barmasters records are held in the archives at Chatsworth Hose, the home of the Duke of Devonshire, where they can be examined for a fee.

For further information concerning the Enclosure Awards visit the website of the National Archives - Reseach Guides - Enclosure Awards.  They covered a wide number of years, whereas the Tithe map surveys are from the late 1830's to the 1850's.   These can be consulted at local Record Offices.

Margaret Howard