I don't know how we can stop these organisations sending us stuff, however I did check with our legal department both about these and about the self-published stuff where the author sends the book with either an invoice or a request for money.
In the past I've written back to say we don't buy stuff we haven't ordered and if they would like it back they can send us the postage.
At that point they usually say it's a donation and we dispose of it! The Scientology stuff was a real nuisance as they couriered these large boxes to all our branches including the small part-time ones.

I was advised that the law on unsolicited goods has recently changed and that if we're sent stuff we haven't ordered/ asked for the sender gives up their rights to it and we may do as we wish. We sent the recent Scientology stuff with a consignment to Better World Books who said they'd have a go selling it and if that fails they'd recycle.
The only alternative would be the skip at the back of the building.

Doesn't answer the original question but gives a partial solution. I look forward (not) to receiving these latest offerings!

Alyson Hogarth
Stock Manager
Middlesbrough Libraries
and Information

01642 729420

Joanne Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries" <[log in to unmask]>

03/12/2008 13:19
Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: Unsolicited deliveries

Yep, all our libraries got a copy, somehow personally addressed to individuals who work in each library.  We also all got a full set of scientologist items - 12 volumes of hardbacks per library.  Would love to stop getting them if anyone knows how?

Joanne Harvey
Reading & Leisure Manager
Jubilee Library
Jubilee Street
Brighton
BN1  1GE

2008 is the National Year of Reading -
I am currently reading Beneath the Blonde by Stella Duffy
What are you reading?

(01273) 294073