To Lis-libhist subscribers and a few selected LIHG committee members who
I know have some interest in the subject - apologies for cross-posting
some people who also subscribe to SHARP-L.

I was interested to pick up this message from Jeremy Dibble about the
Libraries of Early America Project.  I hadn't thought of using
LibraryThing as a tool for library history, but if it really makes it
possible to input library catalogue data easily and  then compare lists
of different owners, one of the bugbears of comparative studies might be
solved. (I'm working on early libraries in Nottinghamshire 1750-1850 at
present, and though not going very deep I'm aware of how many of the few
extant catalogues have similar book-stocks - greater statistical
analysis would surely be a good thing.)

Might this be worth reporting in the news LIHG newsletter?  Preferably
with some commentary from a UK expert who's tried it out!

Regards

Peter Hoare
Peter Hoare, 21 Oundle Drive, Wollaton Park, Nottingham NG8 1BN
Tel/fax 0115 978 5297                              E-mail [log in to unmask]