Dear all,

I wonder if you could provide any guidance on my questions below:

I obtained a Post Graduate Diploma in Library and Information Management in
June 2008. I have been an Associate member of CILIP since June 2008.

I work full time in a legal library.

I am hoping to begin the process of getting chartered ASAP. I wonder if you
could tell me:

a)       Do I need to become a certified member of CILIP before I can become
chartered?

b)       What is the benefit of being both a certified and chartered member of
CILIP? Would you recommend doing both? Or shall I just go straight into
getting Chartered?

c)       I read somewhere that I had to be an Associate member of CILIP for a
year before registering to becoming chartered. Is that right? As I only became
a member of CILIP in June 2008, does that mean I can’t become chartered
until June 2009? If I have to wait until June 2009, is there anything I
can/should actively be doing in the meantime?

Many thanks for your assistance.