Hi James

Like you, I was in a non-professional Senior Library Assistant post when
I first qualified, and managed to complete my Chartership with the
support of my employer.

They supported me by offering both training and the opportunity to get
involved in small projects relating to my work. For example, one of my
key tasks was shelving -- hardly a professional level skill. But I took
part in a small-scale project looking at how we could find much needed
space for new materials by selecting older or less-used books to be sent
to store or discarded. That gave me both a more professional overview of
collection management decisions, and some very basic project management
experience.

Achieving Chartered status is about practising your professional skills,
and there's no doubt that being in a professional post would give you
more opportunities. But it's also about applying a professional attitude
towards your work, whatever level of post you are in. Your current job
might not give you enough experience to complete Chartership, but you
can start building experience. Reflect on what you do in your day to day
work, and evaluate how things are done in your organisation. Use your
professional understanding to take a critical approach - think about why
things are done as they are, and think if there are ways in which things
could be improved.

And don't forget that you can look for development opportunities outside
your job role by getting involved with a professional group such as your
local division of the Career Development Group, or CILIP in Scotland.

Best of luck,

Anna

Anna Grigson
Assistant Digital Resources Librarian