On 1-Dec-08, at 5:55 AM, leo waaijers wrote (in SPARC-OAForum:
> Dear Stevan,
>
> Most authors do not self-archive their publications spontaneously.
> So they must be mandated. But, apart from a few, the mandators do
> not mandate the authors. In a world according to you they themselves
> must be supermandated. And so on. This approach only works if
> somewhere in the mandating hierarchy there is an enlightened echelon
> that is able and willing to start the mandating cascade.

Leo, you are quite right that in order to induce authors to provide
Green OA, their institutions and funders must be induced to mandate
that they provide Green OA (keystrokes). Authors can be mandated by
their institutions and funders, but institutions and funders cannot be
mandated (except possibly by their governments and tax-payers), so how
to persuade them to mandate the keystrokes?

The means that I (and others) have been using to persuade institutions
and funders to mandate that authors provide OA have been these:

(1) Benefits of Providing OA: Gather empirical evidence to demonstrate
the benefits of OA to the author, institution, and funder, as well as
to research progress and to tax-paying society (increased
accessibility, downloads, uptake, citations, hence increased research
impact, productivity, and progress, increased visibility and
showcasing for institutions, richer and more valid research
performance evaluation for research assessors, enhanced and more
visible metrics of research impact -- and its rewards -- for authors,
etc.).

(2) Means of Providing OA: Provide free software for making deposit
quick, easy, reliable, functional, and cheap, for authors as well as
their institutions. Provide OA metrics to monitor, measure and reward
OA and OA-generated research impact.

(3) Evidence that Mandating (and Only Mandating) Works: Gather
empirical data to demonstrate that (a) most authors (> 80%) will
deposit willingly if it is mandated by their institutions and/or
funders, but they will not deposit if it is not mandated (< 15%)
(Alma Swan's studies); and that (b) most authors (> 80%) actually do
what they say they would do (deposit if it is mandated [> 80%] and
don't deposit if it is not mandated [< 15%] even if they are given
incentives and assistance [< 30%] (Arthur Sale's Studies).

(4) Information about OA: Information and evidence about the means and
the benefits of providing OA has to be widely and relentlessly
provided, in conferences, publications, emails, discussion lists, and
blogs. At the same time, misunderstanding and misinformation have to
be unflaggingly corrected (over and over and over!)

There are already 58 institutional and funder Green OA mandates
adopted and at least 11 proposed and under consideration. So these
efforts are not entirely falling on deaf ears (although I agree that
58 out of perhaps 10,000 research institutions [plus funders]
worldwide -- or even the top 4000 --  is still a sign of some hearing
impairment! But the signs are that audition is improving...)
> To create such a cascade one needs water (i.e. arguments) and a
> steep rocky slope (i.e. good conditions). The pro OA arguments do
> not seem to be the problem. In all my discussions over the last
> decade authors, managers and librarians alike agreed that the future
> should be OA also thanks to you, our driving OA archevangelist.

But alas it is not agreement that we need, but mandates (and
keystrokes)! And now, not in some indeterminate future.

> So, it must be the conditions that are lacking. This awareness
> brought me to the writing of an article about these failing
> conditions. Only if we are able to create better conditions mandates
> will emerge and be successful on a broad scale. A fortiori, this
> will make mandates superfluous.

I am one of the many admirers of your splendid efforts and success in
the Netherlands, with SURF/Dare, "Cream of Science," and much else.

But I am afraid I don't see how the three recommendations made in the
Ariadne article will make mandates emerge (nor how they make mandates
superfluous). On the contrary, I see the challenge of making the three
recommendations prevail to be far, far greater than the challenge of
getting mandates to be adopted. Let me explain:

> Recommendation 1: Transferring the copyright in a publication has
> become a relic of the past; nowadays a “licence to publish” is
> sufficient. The author retains the copyrights. Institutions should
> make the use of such a licence part of their institutional policy.

Persuading authors to retain copyright is a far bigger task than just
persuading them to deposit (keystrokes): It makes them worry about
what happens if their publisher does not agree to copyright retention,
and then their article fails to be published in their journal of choice.

Doing the c.  6-minutes-worth of keystrokes that it takes to deposit
an article -- even if authors can't be bothered to do those keystrokes
until/unless it is mandated -- is at least a sure thing, and that's
the end of it.

In contrast, it is not at all clear how long copyright retention
negotiations will take in each case, nor whether they will succeed in
each case.

Moreover, just as authors are not doing the deposit keystrokes except
if mandated, they are not doing the copyright retention negotiations
either: Do you really think it would be easier to mandate doing
copyright retention than to mandate deposit?

(Harvard has adopted a kind of a copyright-retention mandate, though
it has an opt-out, so it is not clear whether it is quite a mandate --
nor is it clear how well it will succeed, either in terms of
compliance or in terms of negotiation [nor whether it is even
thinkable for universities with authors that have less clout with
their publishers than Harvard's]. But there is a simple way to have
the best of both worlds by upgrading the Harvard copyright-retention
mandate with opt-out into a deposit mandate without opt-out that is
certain to succeed, and generalizable to all universities -- the
Harvards as well as the Have-Nots. To require successful copyright
renegotiation as a precondition for providing OA and for mandating OA,
however, would be needlessly and arbitrarily to raise the goal-post
far higher than it need be -- and already is for persuading
institutions and funders to mandate deposit at all.)

Upgrade Harvard's Opt-Out Copyright Retention Mandate: Add a No-Opt-
Out Deposit Clause
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/364-guid.html

> Recommendation 2: The classic impact factor for a journal is not a
> good yardstick for the prestige of an author. Modern digital
> technology makes it possible to tailor the measurement system to the
> author. Institutions should, when assessing scientists and scholars,
> switch to this type of measurement and should also promote its
> further development.

This is certainly true, but how does using these potential new impact
metrics generate OA or OA mandates, or make OA mandates superfluous?
On the contrary, it is OA (and whatever successfully generates OA)
that will generate these new metrics (which will, among other things,
in turn serve to increase research impact, as well as making it more
readily measurable and rewardable)!

Brody, T., Carr, L., Gingras, Y., Hajjem, C., Harnad, S. and Swan, A.
(2007) Incentivizing the Open Access Research Web: Publication-
Archiving, Data-Archiving and Scientometrics. CTWatch Quarterly 3(3). http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/14418/

Harnad, S. (2007) Open Access Scientometrics and the UK Research
Assessment Exercise. In Proceedings of 11th Annual Meeting of the
International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics 11(1), pp.
27-33, Madrid, Spain. Torres-Salinas, D. and Moed, H. F., Eds. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/13804/

Harnad, S. (2008) Validating Research Performance Metrics Against Peer
Rankings. Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics 8 (11) doi:
10.3354/esep00088  The Use And Misuse Of Bibliometric Indices In
Evaluating Scholarly Performance   http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/15619/

> Recommendation 3: The traditional subscription model for circulating
> publications is needlessly complex and expensive. Switching to Open
> Access, however, requires co-ordination that goes beyond the level
> of individual institutions. Supra-institutional organisations, for
> example the European University Association, should take the
> necessary initiative.

The European University Association has already taken the initiative
to recommend that its 791 member universities in 46 countries should
all mandate Green OA self-archiving! Now the individual universities
need to be persuaded to follow that recommendation. The European Heads
of Research Councils have made the same recommendation to their member
research councils. (I am optimistic, because, for example, 6 of the 7
RCUK research funding councils have so far already followed the first
of these recommendations -- from the UK Parliamentary Select Committee
on Science and Technology. And the 28 universities that have already
mandates show that institutional mandates are at last gathering
momentum too.

But if it is already considerably harder to mandate author copyright-
retention than it is to mandate author self-archiving in their
institutional repositories (Green OA), it is surely yet another order
of magnitude harder to mandate "Switching to Open Access" from the
"traditional subscription model."

If author's are likely to resist having to renegotiate copyright with
their journal of choice at the risk of not getting published in their
journal of choice, just in order to provide OA, they are even more
likely to resist having to publish in a Gold OA journal instead of in
their journal of choice, just in order to provide OA.

And journal publishers are likely to resist anyone trying to dictate
their economic model to them. (Moreover, this goes beyond the bounds
of what is within the university community's mandate to mandate!)

So mandating Green OA is still the fastest, surest, and simplest way
to reach universal OA. Let us hope that the "enlightened echelon" of
the institutional hierarchy will now set in motion the long overdue
"mandating cascade."

Best wishes,

Stevan Harnad