Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:22:49 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Is total Delimitation and Demarcation desireable?
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Colleagues,
The African Union (AU) Assembly of Heads of State and Government at their eighth ordinary session in January 2007 mandated the AU Commission to pursue efforts towards the structural prevention of conflicts particularly through implementation of the AU Border Programme on the delineation and demarcation of borders. This programme ambitiously envisages  that all undelimited and undemarcated boundaries should be delimited and demarcated by 2012. Is this possible? Is it desirable. Is there any continent or indeed any part of the world which is completely delimited and demarcated.  My instincts are that one will need about 50 years for such a process. I also have concerns about not letting sleeping dogs lie. Assuming it is even theoretically possible what strategies are likely to work. What costs will be involved. Can one even say Western Europe is completely and successfully demarcated. Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Best Regards
Gbenga

[1] Hereinafter referred to as the Commission. Materials relating to the African Union (

AU) are available at  www.africa-union.org;

Dr. Gbenga Oduntan
Lecturer in International Commercial Law,
Kent Law School,
Eliot College,
University of Kent,
Canterbury,
Kent CT2 7NS, UK.

Phone:
Switchboard 0044 (0)1227 764000 (ext 4817)
Direct Line 0044 (0)1227 824817
Fax: 0044 (0) 1227 827831

Email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.kent.ac.uk/law/people/index.htm