Somalia's president quits office

Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf
Abdullahi Yusuf was appointed president four years ago

Somalia's President Abdullahi Yusuf has told parliament he has resigned - a move which adds to the chaos in the country as Ethiopian troops withdraw.

Mr Yusuf's resignation follows a power struggle with Prime Minister Nur Hassan Hussein, who parliament backed after Mr Yusuf tried to sack him.

Ethiopian soldiers, who support the government, are due to pull out this week, raising fears of a power vacuum.

Various Islamist and nationalist groups control most of southern Somalia.

The president had clashed in recent months with Mr Nur over attempts to negotiate a peace deal with the Islamist-led armed opposition.

I congratulate the president for the bold step he has taken
Aden Mohamed Nur
Speaker of parliament

Some diplomats suggest that Mr Yusuf's resignation might enhance the prospects of a deal with moderate Islamists.

BBC Somali service editor Yusuf Garaad says the president's departure has removed one obstacle to peace but it is unclear what happens next, especially if the government collapses altogether.

Mr Yusuf is reported to have flown out of Baidoa, where parliament is based, to his home region - the semi-autonomous area of Puntland in the north.

Speaker of parliament Aden Mohamed Nur becomes acting president until a new leader is named.

Mr Yusuf was chosen by MPs four years ago at the end of a long process that was supposed to bring peace to Somalia, which has not had an effective national government since 1991.

But government forces only control parts of the capital, Mogadishu, and the town of Baidoa.

'Failed in duty'

Mr Nur said he had accepted the president's resignation.

"I congratulate the president for the bold step he has taken in respect of the transitional federal charter," the AFP news agency reports him as saying.

SOMALIA'S WOES
map
3m need food aid - a third of the population
1m displaced
Government only controls Baidoa
Islamist groups control much of southern Somalia
No effective government since 1991
Piracy on the rise

Mr Yusuf told MPs in Baidoa: "As I promised when you elected me on October 14, 2004, I would stand down if I failed to fulfil my duty, I have decided to return the responsibility you gave me."

In his speech, broadcast on national radio, he said: "When I took power I pledged three things.

"If I was unable to fulfil my duty I will resign. Second, I said I will do everything in my power to make government work across the country. That did not happen either.

"Third, I asked the leaders to co-operate with me for the common good of the people. That did not happen," he said, according to Associated Press news agency.

Last week, Mohamed Mahamud Guled, who Mr Yusuf tried to install as prime minister, resigned saying his appointment was destabilising the government.

Mr Yusuf had faced criticism for appointing Mr Guled in defiance of Somali MPs, who overwhelmingly rejected the dismissal of his predecessor.

Mr Guled said he had chosen to resign "so that I am not seen as a stumbling block to the peace process which is going well now".

The regional grouping, Igad, which brokered the talks leading to Mr Yusuf's election, this month imposed sanctions on him, calling him an obstacle to peace.

Fighting between the Ethiopia-backed government and the insurgents has left some one million people homeless and much of Mogadishu deserted.

Some three million people - a third of the population - need food aid.

And the lack of leadership has led to a surge in piracy off the Somali coast.

A small African Union peacekeeping force is based in Mogadishu but analysts say they would be unable to withstand an Islamist advance.

The UN has rejected calls to send its own mission to Somalia.

from

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7802622.stm

Somalia: Legislators Flee From Baidoa

Baidoa — Some Somali parliamentarians have left from Baidoa to northern Somali regions for security grounds, radio Shabelle's Muhidin Husni reported on Sunday.

Two planes took some legislators from Baidoa airport to Puntland and Somaliland regions.

The parliamentarians said they feared for their security and decided to leave Baidoa, the seat of the transitional parliament.

They had closed door meeting with Somali president Abdulahi Yusuf Ahmed in the state house of Baidoa before their departure.

Somali MP Mohamed Osman Maye was the first MP who was killed outside a mosque in the town of Baido on 9 September 2008.

The deputy minister for reconciliation, Ismail Hassan Timir has been assassinated in Baido last night (Saturday).

The Ethiopian troops who are protecting the transitional government are expected to withdraw from Somalia, which leaves the parliamentarians in a dangerous place.

from

http://allafrica.com/stories/200812280006.html

also
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/britainatwar/3902640/Berlins-view-of-Somaliland-dispute---Dec-29-1938.html

Berlin's view of Somaliland dispute - Dec 29, 1938

It is stated in all quarters here, with remarkable unanimity, that there is not the slightest danger of the Franco-Italian dispute developing into war.

There seems to be a general conviction in Government circles that Signor Mussolini, with the support of Germany, will obtain some sort of satisfaction.

At the same time, the possibility of a Four-Power conference between Germany, Italy, France and Britain to discuss Italy’s demands in Somaliland and the Mediterranean is being talked about and was the subject of conversations in German Government quarters to-day.

It was emphasised that everything would depend on the result of Mr. Chamberlain’s talks in Rome, but, failing an earlier settlement, it was suggested that a conference on the lines of that at Munich might be the best way of dealing with the dispute.

PRESS ATTACKS

Meanwhile the German and Italian Governments will remain in close contact. If the situation at the end of January does not justify a visit to Rome by Field-Marshal Goering, a meeting may, it is stated, take place between Herr von Ribbentrop and Count Ciano, the German and Italian Foreign Ministers.

The German press to-night attacks various British newspapers, including THE DAILY TELEGRAPH AND MORNING POST, for printing reports about the alleged massing of Italian troops within the French Somaliland frontier and other disturbing developments.

[The statement published in THE DAILY TELEGRAPH AND MORNING POST from a French Correspondent was not that Italian troop were massing in French Somaliland, but that six posts in French territory had been occupied by 400 or 500 Italian soldiers for the last 12 months, and that certain Italian military movements were now in progress in Abyssinia.]

This “agitation,” as it is called, is compared with the reports about the alleged landing of German troops in Morocco which led to the tension between Germany and France two years ago.

“FIVE OFFENSIVES”

The foreign Press is also taken to task in an interview with Herr Dietrich, Reich Press Chief, published in the “ Voelkischer Beobachter “ this morning.

He said that five great “ Press offensives “ had been launched against Germany in 1938. They were:

The “atrocity” campaign about the changes in the German army announced on Feb. 4;

The attempt to prevent the incorporation of Austria into the Reich;

The reports about the alleged German mobilisation against Czechoslovakia on May 21;

The attacks at the time of the September crisis; and

The “all-Jewish offensive” in November.

All these “ Press lies,” declared Herr Dietrich, had only played into Germany’s hands.