This talk may be of interest to list members.

The first of a number of seminars on ‘Qualitative Approaches in Health and
Welfare’ organised by the CRASSH Health and Welfare Group.
http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk/page/33/health--welfare.htm

Everyday life in a residence for people with intellectual impairments: A
Conversation Analysis of interaction between residents and care staff

A talk by Charles Antaki of Loughborough University

Time:   Wednesday 14th January at 2pm
Venue:
CRASSH (Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities)
University of Cambridge
17 Mill Lane
Cambridge
CB2 1RX
Tel:  01223 766886

Abstract:  How is communication with people with intellectual impairments
compromised by their disabilities? How are they to be allowed, or encouraged,
to live as full a life as possible? The UK has seen the rise of "person-centred"
services which are meant to empower people with learning disabilities by
implementing systems and policies that operate at a broad level. But what
happens in actual practice? I shall report findings from a research project
which looked in detail at what goes on in residential services. We wanted to
identify what features of ordinary, day-to-day interaction encourage
empowerment, and what features might obstruct it. And rather than rely on
interviews and other indirect measures, we got our evidence by recording the
interactions as they happened, in their mundane reality. I'll report on one
curiously double-edged aspect of the talk we heard: the way staff tried to
empower the respondents by offering them choices. Staff support residents in
talk - but talk is complex, and may go badly awry.

Contact:
Rachel Hughes
[log in to unmask] or 07507 278055