I was just repeating something that Tim or Saad had said about using the waytotal. ;)  I think this is the main issue with the approach: you will lose the differences in pathway strength to some degree.  Thus, the approach is great for thresholding pathways so that their spatial distributions are similar (and makes a lot of sense if you have confidence the pathway exists).  To make comparisons of pathway strength, you might compare your pathway of interest to some control pathway.  Also, within a single brain you can use the waytotals themselves as a measure of pathway strength, and you could use the ratio of a waytotal of interest and a control waytotal to compare across subjects, should you have reason to believe your control pathway will not vary significantly.

I believe the waytotals for a single ROI tractography are the total number of samples sent out.  This means that waytotals / # voxels in the brain mask will give you a number that you already know without performing the lengthy analysis: the number of samples you are sending out from each seed voxel.

Peace,

Matt.

From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Markus Gschwind
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 10:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] question on old and new waytotals

Hello!

With respect to Matts proposal of thresholding at a fractional proportion of the waytotal:
Doing this it will geographically concentrate the path. However how to derive an adapted mesure of connectivity, as the waytotals will not change.
Would it make sense to threshold the waytotals? How would this be done?

As to a global correction factor for a subjects tractability I've started tracking from the whole nodif_brain_mask, the resulting waytotals to be devided by the # voxels in the brain mask.
I'll give news when terminated...

Cheers,
Markus