Message
Hi,

A similar piece of work was carried out in Hackney.  Basically, the project involved matching data in the following databases:

GP register – City & Hackney PCT

Births & deaths – City & Hackney PCT

Electoral roll – Hackney Council

Council tax liable person – Hackney Council

Council Tax benefit recipients – Hackney Council

School pupil register – the Learning Trust

Housing Tenure – LBH

Property Gazetteer – LBH

The only data shared was that necessary to confirm who a person is, and the full data is only being used to confirm numbers.   They started with the GP register as this seems to be the most comprehensive.  The study showed that the census data from 2001 massively under estimated the population of the borough, which is having an effect on our ability to fund services.  I think this is increasingly a problem for areas with largely transient populations.

I was not involved (or in fact here) when the project was ongoing, but if you would like further information, contact me off list and I will put you in touch with the project manager.  From a DPA point of view, I think the processing falls under Schedule 2 Condition 5(d) in that its for a function of a public nature and is exercised in the public interest.

Kind regards,

Zoe