RGS-IBG Annual Conference, Manchester: 26-28 August 2009

(www.rgs.org/AC2009)

Call for Papers: Geography and Memory

Co-sponsored by the The History and Philosophy of Geography Research Group
and the Social & Cultural Geography Research Group

Convened by Owain Jones (CCRI)

PLEASE CIRCULTE TO ANYONE YOU FEEL MIGHT BE INTESRED!!!

Session Abstract

Much is made of the (present) moment in recent non-representational
geographies - that is the ever-moving front of becoming in actuation - with
all of its possibility, material, embodied, relational, affective,
performative richness. This session seeks to fold (individual) memory more
fully into this understanding of becoming. Damasio states that affective
becoming does make us transient entities, and yet, at the same time, we have
an 'autobiographical self'- 'a nontransient collection of unique facts and
ways of being of systemised memory'. Memory is a fundamental aspect of
becoming, intimately entwined with space, affect, emotion, imagination and
identify, yet also a hyper-complex, mostly unknown, and unknowable set of
processes. 'People [are] rather ill-defined constellations [ ] "not confined
to particular spatio-temporal coordinates, but consist of a spread of
biographical events and memories of events, and a dispersed category of
material objects, traces, and leavings"' (Thrift/Gell). This session seeks
work (academic/literary/artistic/therapeutic) which explores memories of
geographies and/or the geographies of memories, and how these (help)
generate the present. Work is sought which focuses on personal, private
memories rather than more frequently studied popular, collective memories,
and which considers memory in relation to space, affect, emotion
(love/loss), materiality, age, embodiment, displacement, belonging
(nationality) and more besides.

Longer Version

We are present creatures, always in place, always in the moment. Yet we are
also creatures of spatial-temporal remains - made of memories,
(forgettings), and other traces of one kind or another of past places and
moments. Most of what we are, is what, where and how we have been. Memory is
one of the fundamental processes of becoming and is intimately entwined with
affect, emotion, imagination and identify. Damasio (1999) makes it clear
that affective becoming (and the self /consciousness unfolding in that
becoming) makes us transient entities of the moment; but he stresses that we
are also at the same time 'a nontransient collection of unique facts and
ways of being [ ] of systemised memory' which forms the 'autobiographical
self'.

Memory processes seem under-'represented' in the affective turn and
non-representational approaches. Compare the attention given to affect and
emotion in Thrift's fullest elaboration of non-representational theory
(2008) with that given to memory. Personal memory is also absent, in certain
ways, in recent, otherwise highly illuminating, writings about landscape and
nature.(e.g. Macfarlane, 2007;  Sebald, 1998;  Wylie, 2003, 2005). The
tendency seems to be to write about visits (walks, climbs, stays) where
there is little evidence of past personal attachment to, or engagement with,
the landscape in question. This distance - to travel as a stranger - may
well be necessary for their projects. When Schama writes of Landscape and
Memory, the memories are predominately historical and cultural rather than
personal. How different understandings, feelings and practices become when
there are depths of past time and practice and affective states (and memory
thereof), enfolded into present becomings of landscape and place. (I suggest
that notions of landscape and place are generally memory heavy - but can be
otherwise).

Memory is a hyper-complex, mostly unknown, and unknowable set of processes.
(Dreams testify to the complexity and spatiality of memory).Thus far,
perhaps because of this complexity and unknowableness, memory, in the way
considered here, has been very much a minority interest in human geography.
(Some notable examples of work in this area are:- Graham Rowles's work on
geographies of aging (see on line cv) , Philo, 2003; Daniels and Nash, 2004;
Lorimer 2006). Thrift (2008) does raise the importance of memory, citing
Gell, and does so in a way that is very much in the spirit of what I am
interested in exploring, seeing 'people as rather ill-defined constellations
[ ] which "are not confined to particular spatio-temporal coordinates, but
consist of a spread of biographical events and memories of events, and a
dispersed category of material objects, traces, and leavings which can be
attributed to a person"' (Thrift 2008, citing Gell, 1998). This messy
scrambling of time, space, events, materiality  and self is key to what we
are, yet highly challenging to map.

A clear distinction between community/cultural/popular memory and personal
memory is probably untenable, but a lot of memory studies operate on, or
within, large, grand (terrible) frames, notably holocaust studies and
exile/displacement/postcolonial/migration experiences. There has been more
sustained interest in geographies of popular memories in these kinds of
terms, which focus upon contested politics of  history, place, race,
monuments, heritage and so on. Rather than 'collective', 'cultural'
'historical', 'popular' memory, I am interested in more specific, private
memories, perhaps barely known/felt/sensed, fleeting, ghostly - of past
everyday, lived geographies - personal histories of 'smaller'
events/histories of self or others.

As well as being a key theme of literature (e.g. Proust), explorations of
the past geographies embedded in us all are to be found in a range of
academic writing. In Theatre and Performance Studies Deirdre Heddon (2008)
explores a number of autobiographical performances which delve into
past-self-in-place. (Heddon coins the term 'autotopography' to label this
work). There are other notable attempts to explore the stretched-out strange
entanglements of embodied becoming over time and space: Benjamin, Berlin
Childhood; Robinson, My Time in Space; Dillion, In a Dark Room; Kuhn and
McAllister; Locating Memory, and in film, Maddin, My Winnipeg.

I call for papers (or other forms)  on any aspect of geography and memory
which stress the personal (self or other) in terms of past experience and
how it shapes the present. How memories are materialised -  or entangled
with the material is of particular interest.

Abstract by 23 January 2009 (250 words)

To [log in to unmask]

Initial questions and expressions of interest are welcomed.

Please include the following information when submitting your abstract:

Name:

Affiliation:

Contact email:

Title of proposed paper:

Any technical requirements (video, data projector, sound, etc.):

Dr Owain Jones

Research Fellow

Countryside & Community Research Institute

Dunholme Villa, The Park

Cheltenham, GL50 2RH

Mobile: 07871 572969

office: 01242 715315