Hi Rebekah,

Thanks for clarifying your thoughts / feelings. I want to think a number of issues through carefully rather than react in haste and to make sure there is time for other list members who want to do so to join in the discussion rather than us two dialogue.  So I am taking time before replying because I think the issues are important rather than the reverse.

bye for now

David

From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rebekah Pratt [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 December 2008 10:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] FW: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] Community psychology / BBC news web site

Hi David,

Thanks for your reflections, that was helpful, particular this part:

I think Sam in a recent post got the main point right in relation to both unemployment and domestic violence: "it is futile treating an individual for something then returning them to the same failing system that caused the damage in the first place . . .  it is the root cause that requires treatment"

I did understand from the article that you were making that point.  I also feel a little clearer too about why it created such a response in me.  I don't really have well articulated theory, ACP references or the collective will of manifestos or press statements to draw on.  My point of view comes from having a long history of interest in domestic violence and experience working in the area for five years and wondering how this would sit in the organisation or groups I have worked in.  My initial gut reaction was that the flippancy of how the comparison was used somehow felt it was trivialising violence against women, or even exploiting some of the horror of this violence to advance your own point.  I have spent plenty of time advocating for woman.  In my current work in primary care mental health I spend plenty of time arguing against the use of CBT to address unemployment (not to mention many other things too!).

So to try to work out my discomfort I swapped things around.  If I was raising awareness about violence against woman and wanted to use the delivery of CBT onto unemployed people as a comparison to help people think that through, how would that work.  Would I be able to say: in a lifetime one in four unemployed people will be abused by their CBT therapist, 2 unemployed people in the next week alone in the UK will be murdered by their CBT therapist, every eight days in the UK a child will die in a home which is likely to contain a CBT therapist,  CBT therapists cause more death or ill health than cancer in Europe than cancer for unemployed people between 14 - 44 years old, and violence against unemployed people from CBT therapists accounts for 60 million missing and murdered women in the world today.

Once I put it like that, I can see how for me comparing CBT therapy for the unemployed to domestic violence, has so much more to offer one cause than the other.  I am in complete agreement with you that for both issues addressing causes and not symptoms is essential, but the disproportionate nature of the comparison feels trivialising to me.  Maybe even exploitative.  Maybe even collusive?  I'm not sure... still thinking through my discomfort!  But did want to reply to your helpful critical reflections.

Kind regards,

Rebekah