> issue.  Could I just confirm whether or not you think its necessary to
> transfer initial free R assignment to any new data sets or to isomorphous
> data sets such as substrate complexes.

well, i would always do a slow-cool at the start so then it would not be
necessary to transfer them

ian says:

> Slow cooling or pseudo-MD such as randomly shifting co-ordinates
> actually moves you away from convergence, and as I said convergence is

but at the stage of the refinement we're talking about (you have just placed
the model in the asu, and no refinement has taken place against the new data
yet) you are far away from convergence anyway. a slow-cool then does several
beneficial things: it "decouples" r and rfree, reduces "memory"/model bias,
and refines your starting model with a larger radius of convergence than
minimisation

see some of axel brunger's papers, reviews and book chapters from the mid
1990s onward - he has done a lot of tests involving SA, rfree, etc.

by the way - if you *do* want to transfer test flags, or extend a test set to
higher resolution, etc. - dataman has a fair number of options for doing so;
see http://xray.bmc.uu.se/usf/dataman_man.html#H9

--dvd

                         Gerard J.  Kleywegt
     [Research Fellow of the Royal  Swedish Academy of Sciences]
Dept. of Cell & Molecular Biology  University of Uppsala
                 Biomedical Centre  Box 596
                 SE-751 24 Uppsala  SWEDEN

     http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard/  mailto:[log in to unmask]
    The opinions in this message are fictional.  Any similarity
    to actual opinions, living or dead, is purely coincidental.