Dear all,

I’m the Documentation Manager for Black Cultural Archives, and I thought I would clarify what our position is in the light of this discussion.

Thanks to the help of our volunteers like Emma Allison Bedford and our HLF-funded team of professional archivists, we are making excellent progress on cataloguing our collections of archive, library and museum material, and plan to have an online catalogue ready for June 2009.

We are in the midst of our capital project to develop Raleigh Hall in Brixton as a national centre for black cultural heritage, scheduled to open in 2011 thanks to a £4m award from the Heritage Lottery Fund as well as funding from London Development Agency and the London Borough of Lambeth. We still have £2.5m to raise, and the Just Giving page (www.justgiving.com/bcaheritage) is one of the ways this funding gap is being addressed.

Part of the development work for Raleigh Hall involves refining the focus of BCA’s acquisition of new archive collections to ensure that the service to be run from our new state-of-the-art archive store is manageable and sustainable. Our acquisitions policy states that the primary focus of our collecting will be archives which relate to the experiences of black people in Britain from the post WW2 period onwards. However, this would not preclude the acquisition of earlier material if appropriate. The acquisitions policy will be published online in due course during 2009.

Please note, our exhibitions, outreach and education activity and events at Raleigh Hall will have a much broader remit – this focus extends just to the archive acquisition policy.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best,

Tamsin

--
Tamsin Bookey

Documentation Manager

0207 582 8516
BLACK CULTURAL ARCHIVES
1 Othello Close
London
SE11 4RE
www.bcaheritage.org.uk
This message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it.The Black Cultural Archives accepts no liability for loss or damage caused by software viruses and you are advised to carry out a virus check on any attachments contained in this message.