May I have another bite at this cherry, particularly in the light of 'our long
awaited Christmas box' from the DH.  I feel very strongly it would improve the
Quality of our services if we could ensure that samples were drawn by
individuals with proven competency in this area, according to approved
guidelines.  Where this demonstrably fails, (ie when we find samples with high
hemolysis indices), a register of the occurrence and league table of the
offenders could be kept and additional training provided, (at least).  The
inconvenience, worry, waste and expense caused by bad venepuncture
justifys delaying a request for analysis until a competent phlebotomist is
available.  Perhaps the new skill-mix could include more skilled blood collection
practitioners,
Merry Christmas.