You can thank the resuscitation council for this. The authors of their
guidelines included bone marrow as a suitable emergency sample for use
when conventional venous access fails. I recall that there was some
discussion on the mailbase at the time regarding putting it through
blood gas machines.

Makes some sense from their perspective as there is no alternative way
of getting a sample for electrolytes etc. Like most ward based
clinicians, they have no understanding of the potential impact of
alternative samples on the future operation of analysers to which they
might be submitted and certainly little or no clue about the potential
legal issues around CE marking of assays or interpretation of results
from different sample sources.

I found this in my POCT files obviously from around the time the
guidelines originally came out. The reference is on page 54 if you
follow the link (apologies for the lack of attribution if this was your
original text!) -

"Our newly appointed Resuscitation Officer has come to me and asked if
they can put bone marrow samples through the gas analysers for blood
gases. When I expressed some mild surprise at this request(!), I was
informed that this practice is recommended under the new Guidlines for
Resuscitation laid down by the Resuscitation Council.
A brief discussion with the blood gas manufacturers got a stunned reply,
and the comment that this would invalidate any warranties. Bone marrow
aspirates contain all sorts of nasty stuff that would certainly block
the analyser nicely.
The Resus officer than came back to me and said OK, not a good idea
then, but can we have U/E on bone marrow?
For those who would like to read this document, go to
www.resus.org.uk/pages/als.pdf.  It certainly suggests that when venous
access is impossible, then intra-osseous samples can be used for gases
and U/E. There is no mention of reference ranges, sample requirements
etc. "

Richard Stott

Principal Clinical Scientist
Doncaster & Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust