There are various cut offs used for TnT and TnI reporting. The following aucomms are added to our TnI reports (Advia Centaur TnI ultra assay) using the manufacturer's recommendations:

< 0.05 ug/L           No obvious myocardial damage.

0.05 – 0.78 ug/L   Myocardial damage consistent with acute coronary syndrome and/or NSTEMI

> 0.78 ug/L          Myocardial damage consistent with acute MI (WHO criteria)

Always interpret TnI results within the clinical context and ECG findings.

Above comments apply to samples taken 12h post-event.

All these comments are designed to enlighten the user about how to interpret the TnI test result, however it seems that a lot of patients with positive TnI results are labelled as acute MI despite the absence of other criteria to diagnose myocardial ischaemia.

How do other people report their Troponin results?

Is there a better way of reporting lab tests using test's sensitivity/specificity and positive/negative predictive values, rather than just reporting a numerical result with a reference range of dubious origin?

Many thanks

Mohammad