On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 10:15 -0800, Ethan A Merritt wrote:
> The riding-hydrogen treatment is definitely part of the model.
> But the number of parameters associated with it is not derived from the
> number of individual hydrogen atoms and their coordinates, it is
> limited to the number of parameters needed to describe the riding model
> itself.  I.e. what is the C-H bond length and assigned geometry for
> each class of C and N atom for which hydrogens are generated.
> On the order of a dozen parameters total, I would guess, though I have
> not inspected this part of the code in refmac.

It is part of the model, but riding hydrogen positions are not refined
(or am I missing something?).  Thus, there is no formal omission.  If I
skip all the sidechain atoms, now that would be an omission.

> If you can find that particular version of the program!
>
> This is relevant also for regenerating the treatment of bulk
> solvent, particularly if a mask is involved.  The K/B values for
> a bulk solvent model stored in the PDB header records are not sufficient
> by themselves to reproduce the calculation made by a particular program.
>
> Perhaps there should be a registry of the parameters associated with
> each version of each refinement program, and the PDB file could refer
> to the appropriate parameter set by name rather than including it
> in-line in each individual PDB entry.

Exactly!  I think if this issue of incomplete deposition is to be
resolved, one has to determine first why is it necessary (and it's fine
if it's just a matter of principle) and what additional information is
needed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore