From: Social History Curators Group email list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rachel Cornes
Sent: 05 November 2008 09:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SHCG-LIST] search for donkey stone image

Dear all,

I’m wondering if anyone has a photograph in their collection of someone ‘donkey stoning’ their front door step that we would be able to use. We’re currently re-developing our industrial history gallery and are hoping to have an image blown up quite large as a backdrop to our new display on donkey stones. For those of you who are wondering what donkey stones are (I hadn’t heard of them until I moved to Manchester!) they are a mixture of chalk, limestone and cement molded into small blocks, like bars of soap. Housewives would use them to clean their front door steps with - I think it was mostly a Lancashire and Yorkshire tradition.

Thanks for your help.

Rachel

Rachel Cornes

Social History Curator

Neighbourhood and Community Services

Tameside Museums and Galleries Service

Portland Basin Museum

Portland Place

Ashton-Under-Lyne

OL7 0QA

tel: 0161 343 2878

fax: 0161 343 2869

Confidentiality: This e-mail its contents and any attachments are intended only for the above named. As this e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information, if you are not, or suspect that you are not the above named or the person responsible for delivering the message to the above named, delete or destroy the email and any attachments immediately. The contents of this e-mail may not be disclosed to nor used by anyone other than the above named.

Security and Viruses: please note that we cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and amended.

Monitoring: The Council undertakes monitoring of both incoming and outgoing e-mails. You should therefore be aware that if you send an e-mail to a person within the Council it may be subject to any monitoring deemed necessary by the organisation from time to time. The views of the author may not necessarily reflect those of the Council.

Access: As a public body, the Council may be required to disclose this e-mail (or any response to it) under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, unless the information in it is covered by one of the exemptions in the Act.

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST