Hello everyone,
Could we clarify whether the herd sizes requested are the breeding stock, which remain fairly stable, or include the followers, which fluctuate dramatically in the course of the year.
For example, I usually run 6 breeding females & 2 bulls for the Dexters, aiming to winter 10-12 head. About 25-30 breeding Manx Loaghtan ewes & 2-3 tups, about a dozen Hebridean ewes & 2-3 tups yield about 50-60 lambs that have to be radically thinned out by sale or slaughter just about now to get the flock back to the breeding numbers to overwinter. Genetic defects are dealt with as first ones to go in the pot, assuming that they even survive that long. The Chillingham cattle show that a virtually homozygous gene pool can maintain a breeding population almost indefinitely.
Regards, Louisa Gidney (Durham University)

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites on behalf of Shaw Badenhorst
Sent: Mon 10/11/2008 18:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] how many cattle does a farmer need.....

Dear Jaccqui,

I have tried to address minimum herd sizes of cattle (and caprines) in
southern Africa.

According to Schapera (1962:23), at least 10 head of cattle is said to be
the minimum size of a herd to yield an annual disposable surplus. He worked
on Tswana farmers in South Africa and Botswana.

I concur. I have also seen that farmers in rural South Africa actually keep
only a few heads of cattle, sheep and goats, although I don’t have any data
available on this (it would be an interesting project to get some actual
numbers….). Many papers also point out that farmers and pastoralists only
need a few animals to yield a surplus.

A potential issue with small herds/flocks would be inbreeding. However,
there would be two ways to get around this problem. First, there are
different forms of inbreeding, and a farmer can manage it very effectively
within a small herd or flock by choosing different strategies or forms of
inbreeding. There is a large literature on the different forms of inbreeding
in domestic animals.

Second, although inbreeding causes various defects over a few generations in
domestic animals, the simplest way to get rid of these would be to introduce
new, unrelated individuals (through exchange, raiding, bridewealth payments,
etc).

Herd and flock sizes can be modeled, as Dahl and Hjort attempted for cattle.
I recently tried to do it for domestic turkeys in the American Southwest.
Also see the Newman paper below for sheep.

A few useful references on small cattle and caprine herd sizes (mostly
summarised in my own paper, which I will send you a PDF separately):

Badenhorst, S. 2008. Subsistence change among farming communities in
southern Africa during the last two millennia: a search for potential
causes. In: Badenhorst, S. Mitchell, P. & Driver, J. C. (eds) Animals and
People: Archaeozoological Papers in Honour of Ina Plug, 215-228. Oxford:
British Archaeological Series 1849.

Schapera, I. 1962. The Tswana. London: International African Institute.

Braker, M. J. E., H. M. J. Udo and E. C. Webb. 2002. Impacts of intervention
objectives in goat production within subsistence farming systems in South
Africa. South African Journal of Animal Science 32(3):185-191.

Newman, E. I. 2002. Medieval sheep-corn farming: how much grain yield could
each sheep support? Agricultural History Review 50(2):164-180.

Sieff, D. F. 1997. Herding strategies of the Datoga pastoralists of
Tanzania: is household labor a limiting factor. Human Ecology 25(4):519-544.

Sutter, J. W. 1987. Cattle and inequality: herd size differences and
pastoral production among the Fulani of northeastern Senegal. Africa
57(2):196-218.

All best,
Shaw

Dr. Shaw Badenhorst