Yes, we have long dogs in Egypt. And they remain problematic.
sigh.

On 14 Nov 2008, at 13:43, S H-D wrote:

Hi, 'long dogs' of the greyhound/deerhound/lurcher type seem to have been around for a very long time! I think even in ancient egypt.  I had one from Liss villa in England, late Roman.  It is always so difficult with names - if you tell the general public it was 'like a greyhound' it is immediately reported as such in the media despite the fact we don't know colour, coat type or temperament!  (I know from experience as it nearly went to press as a pitbull because it was found in a pit and there was a joke going round on site!). Half the problem is that most 'official' breeds seen today were 'fixed' in their breeding lines only a short time ago.
Sheila

SH-D ArchaeoZoology
http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk
All messages virus checked by ZoneAlarm
----- Original Message ----- From: "JH Yvinec" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] greyhound ?

perhaps i make a mistake with word. S. Davis say me that i must
be"cautious". Thanks to him for the help. In fact, i  thought that
greyhond was an equivalent of lévrier in french. But even in using a
generic word, it is right that we must be careful .
I have a dog with long legs ( 70 cm at the garrot) ad a low slenderness
ratio. The length of skull is higt (217 and 219 mm) and the palatine
index very low.  and they look like / they are similar to greyhond.
i will put photo and graph on the web.

JH Yvinec a écrit :
hello,
i found greyhound (i think) in a XIe century context.
Is anyone aware of any other finds of  this kind of dog remains from this period in europe. Can you say when they appear/their origin in france, britain ...?
I search biblio on this subject and relation with aristocracy. If someone can help ?
cheers

Salima Ikram (Dr)
Professor of Egyptology
Egyptology Unit Head