In the well at Tiddington Roman settlement (Warwickshire) - 2nd century AD
ish - there were remains (several skulls/skeltons each) of two types of dog,
one similar to Iron Age dogs as described by Harcourt and one with clearly
slenderer skull & other measurements, probably also smaller so more like
what you'd call a whippet nowadays. (I did the bones from this site many
years ago and I don't think it has been published, but I have a record of
the dog measurements if anyone's interested.) The two types are distinct, so
in that sense you might argue that there were "breeds", but whether there is
any relationship with modern breeds is debatable. I think it has often been
noted that there's much more variability in Roman period dogs in Britain
than in the Iron Age.
Julie Hamilton
Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art
Dyson Perrins Building
South Parks Rd
OXFORD OX1 3QY

email: [log in to unmask]