From: Virtual Learning Environments [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Roger Broadie
Sent: 18 November 2008 16:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VLES] evidence to support institutional buy-in

The JISC paper Sarah suggests looks a very useful way of analysing ROI.

A few things about it particularly strike me -

- it acknowledges the huge diversity of use of ICT/VLEs, so different
organisations get the ROI in different ways.

- because the huge diversity means there are no simple answers, it
provides a framework for institutions to work up their own ROI.

- the different areas of ROI split between quantity and quality,

- and the conclusion highlights that elearning has enabled an expansion
of number of students served without corresponding increase in estate or
staff, as the main 'quantity' ROI. (which may be a difficult message to
sell to staff!)

This resonates with an analysis the European Education Partnership did
back in 2001, on 'value add from ICT', which is still relevant and works
in these days of VLEs. http://www.eep-edu.org and click 'Innovations
Service' and 'Value Add from ICT'.

This was a schools-based analysis but I think also works for older
students. It also splits between quality and quantity measures, with the
category of 're-balancing teaching and learning' being a sort of
equivalent of the JISC main conclusion (given that schools cannot
increase student numbers in the way a university can, but are able to
subtly change the profile of the teaching workforce and reduce salary
costs.

Roger.