We're pretty sure this bdii.conf is incorrect:

Shouldn't the BDII_BIND list the SITE-NAME instead of local? If so, we
have a yaim prob.

# cat /opt/bdii/etc/bdii.conf
BDII_DIR=/opt/bdii
BDII_VAR_DIR=/opt/bdii/var
BDII_SLAPD_CONF=/opt/bdii/etc/glue-slapd.conf
BDII_DEFAULT_LDIF=/opt/bdii/etc/default.ldif
BDII_PORT_READ=2170
BDII_PORTS_WRITE="2171 2172"
BDII_USER=edguser
BDII_SEARCH_FILTER='*'