Hi,

I am happy to see the new release going public. It seems to contain
lots of useful new features and fixes.

After installing the November 2008 Lehuakona release of starlink on my
Mac OS X 10.5.5 system (intel), I get an error upon trying to open a
spectrum in Splat. It is _very_ similar to the problem I reported some
months ago in the previous release. The error message is:

"""
uk.ac.starlink.splat.util.SplatException: Spectrum
'/Users/MHD/data/SLS/highfreqdata/dataproducts/central4avspec_2500ms.sdf'
has an unknown type, format or name syntax(guessed: NDF )
	at uk.ac.starlink.splat.data.SpecDataFactory.throwReport(SpecDataFactory.java:546)
	at uk.ac.starlink.splat.data.SpecDataFactory.get(SpecDataFactory.java:347)
	at uk.ac.starlink.splat.data.SpecDataFactory.get(SpecDataFactory.java:222)
	at uk.ac.starlink.splat.iface.SplatBrowser.tryAddSpectrum(SplatBrowser.java:1933)
	at uk.ac.starlink.splat.iface.SpectrumIO.addSpectra(SpectrumIO.java:312)
	at uk.ac.starlink.splat.iface.SpectrumIO$2.run(SpectrumIO.java:261)
"""

Back then, Peter Draper managed to fix it, see his message of March
10th below. But this was aimed at the previous Humu release. Would it
hurt to unpack Peter's fix and put the files in the
/star/starjava/lib/i386/ directory of the new Lehuakona install?

Cheers,
Matthijs van der Wiel

--
M.H.D. van der Wiel
Kapteyn Astronomical Institute, University of Groningen