Subject: Re: Using temporal derivative
From: Thilo Kellermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:06:43 +0100

Dear Vince,

I have basically two questions w.r.t. the use of the temporal derivative as
you propose in your paper. As you wrote, you calculated a single image
quantity per subject (and condition) and then performed t-tests on the second
level, probably using an equation similar to equation 10 in your paper.

1. Is my guess correct to calculate these single image quantities not using
equation 10 exactly, but rather the term in the numerator (i.e.
sign(beta_1) * sqrt(beta_1^2 + beta_2^2) ?
So formula 10 would calculate something like spmT-images on the first level,
and omitting the residual error in the numerator will give us the first-level
con-images, that can be taken to the second level (in case I am right?!?).

2. In equation 4 you mention something about normalization and
orthogonalization of the time course. It is not quite clear to me if these
procedures are really necessary for calculating the single images per
subject. Do you refer to normalization of the data or of the model regressors
(I would assume the latter...)? If this normalization and orthogonalization
is necessary, would you be so kind to share the (few lines of??) Matlab-code
to perform these? At first and second sight these procedures are not that
straightforward to me...... Sorry for that!

Thank you very much !!
Best regards,

Thilo