I would suggest only realigning the data that you plan to use.

I have copy/pasted some of the online help that may explain what you
observed...

Because of subject motion, different images are likely to have different
patterns of zeros from where it was not possible to sample data. With masking
enabled, the program searches through the whole time series looking for
voxels which need to be sampled from outside the original images. Where this
occurs, that voxel is set to zero for the whole set of images (unless the
image format can represent NaN, in which case NaNs are used where possible).

Best regards,
-John