Thank you everyone who sent me suggestions in answer to my question about the availability of a video resource for supervisors. In case anyone else would find this helpful, here is a summary of the responses:

Vitae is a resource bank for research staff – currently under development, probably worth revisiting as at the moment they don’t have the resource I was looking for, but seems promising:

http://www.vitae.ac.uk/1389/Supervisors--Managers.html

Home page: http://www.vitae.ac.uk/

 Premia is a website with resources http://www.premia.ac.uk/

This contains quite a few case studies and problem scenarios which is focused on issues faced by disabled PG research students and is widely useful for other supervisory situations. This does not include a video, but the resources are very useful indeed.

Several people suggested Rowena Murray’s videos, however having enquired at Strathclyde it seems that these are no longer available.

Angel Productions have two DVDs – which are available for purchase: http://www.angelproductions.co.uk/supervision.htm They look good, but are quite expensive - £995 plus VAT for one or £1600 for both - that gives you licence for unlimited use in your university.

http://www.epigeum.co.uk/courses/research-skills-online Epigeum have a range of resources to support research students and their supervisors, but at a price.

Annette Kolmos from Denmark sent a guide for facilitation, but this is more of a guide for PBL facilitation rather than supervision of research projects. I’ve attached it here, though, in case it is of use.

What a lovely supportive community you all are – thank you very much!

Celia

Dr Celia Popovic

Head of Educational Staff Development

Centre for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching

Birmingham City University

Level 2, Edge Building

Campus North

Birmingham B42 2SU

Email: [log in to unmask]

Tel: 0121 331 6947

Birmingham City University is the new name unveiled for the former University of Central England in Birmingham
For more information about the name change go to http://www.bcu.ac.uk/namechange/official_announcement.html