Message
Dear all,

Talk about irony...just as I am coming around to Steve Bailey's way of questioning whether BCS's, EDRMS's etc are really viable in the Web 2.0 world, I find myself tasked by our IT change programme with drafting a business case for a business classification scheme (in preparation for selecting an EDRMS) by the end of next week!  The business case has to include listing the business benefits plus detailed proposals for how long it will take to draft a BCS, how many bodies will be needed to do the work, what user consultation programmes should be instigated, what sort of training and culture change will be needed, whether external consultants are required and how quickly sign-off can be achieved.

I have in fact been drafting a BCS over the past couple of years as and when I could find the time and have been introducing aspects of functional file plans by stealth via records disposal schedules and rationalisation of group folders, but I confess I have no idea how long a concerted corporate project to create and get sign-off on a BCS would take.  We are a smallish organisation (600 staff) and our remit is to regulate solicitors and protect the public by ensuring that solicitors meet high standards, and by acting when risks are identified.  There's a lot of casework involved; most other records are the usual administrative stuff.  So it shouldn't be complicated (famous last words).  However, the way of working is highly siloed and based on individual preference and a lot of duplication (it's also very paper-based), so training and culture change will be the biggest time/resource factor, I imagine.  This is despite a barnstorming presentation by Jeff Morelli to our heads of business last year on what BCSs are all about!

I've checked the listserv and can find plenty of requests for advice on drafting business cases for BCS's but I could find no responses.  Can anyone point me towards some useful advice on how to get drafting?

Clare

Clare Cowling
Records Manager
Solicitors Regulation Authority
Ipsley Court
Berrington Close
Redditch B98 0TD

Ph: direct line 01527 512926
Internal extension: 3996
Mobile 07816 929734
Fax: 0152 7883285
email [log in to unmask]

This email, and any attachment, is intended for the attention of the addressee only. Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies and inform the sender by return email and send a copy to [log in to unmask] Thank you for your co-operation.

Please note the author of this email is not authorised to conclude any contract on behalf of the Solicitors Regulation Authority by email.
For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]