I replied yesterday, but the email seems not go through the list. So I post again.

I understand Ann Lewins' concerns. This is not a spam or virus, but a real QDA software.  R-FORGE is project related to the r-project (http://www.r-project.org/), providing tools for developing R package.

Here is the description of RQDA:

RDQA is a package for Qualitative Data Analysis built upon R, a free qualitative analysis software application. It works both on the Windows and Linux/FreeBSD platforms. RQDA is an easy-to-use tool to assist in the analysis of textual data. At the present, it supports only plain text format data. All the information is stored in SQLite database via the R package of RSQLite. The GUI is based on RGtk2, via the aid of gWidgetsRGtk2. It include
s a number of standard Computer-Aided Qualitative Data Analysis features. Besides, it seamlessly integrated with R, which means that a) statistical analysis on the coding is possible, and b) functions about data manipulation and analysis can be easily extended by writing R functions. To some extent, RQDA and R makes an integrated platform for both quantitative and qualitative data analysis.

By the GUI, it can:
#  Import documents from plain text
# Support non-English documents, Simplified Chinese Character is well-tested under Windows
# Character-level coding using codes
# Memos of documents and codes
# Retrieval of coding
# Single-file (*.rqda) format, which is basically SQLite database
# Temporary deletion of files and codes

By R functions, it can:
# Show the temporary deletion files and codes
# Undo the temporary deletion
# Permanently erase the temporary deletion

Other functions may be added with the development of the software in the future.

HUANG Ronggui, Wincent
Tel: (00852) 3442 3832
Ph.D. Candidate, CityU of HK
Master of sociology, Fudan University, China
Bachelor of Social Work, Fudan University, China
Personal homepage: http://ronggui.huang.googlepages.com/