Posted on behalf of Savita Custead, Bristol Natural History Consortium.

________________________________

Hi all,

It is indeed International Year of Biodiversity in 2010 - and there are
plans in the work for some very exciting and innovative projects here in
the UK.

Last week the Bristol Natural History Consortium hosted the annual
Communicate conference for environmental communicators here in Bristol.
We were really pleased to have an address from David Ainsworth, from the
United Nations Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity. He
described international plans for IYB, and we followed this with a
discussion on UK based plans facilitated by Helen Featherstone from UWE.

There are a number of national projects in the works (the Bristol
Natural History Consortium will be running a pilot in 2009 that will be
scaled nationally in 2010) and it is a good time to start building
links. Bob Bloomfield from the Natural History Museum preceded David
Ainsworth's talk and discussed how Darwin 200 projects would flow into
2010 - I know a number of other organisations are also looking at this.

If anyone else is planning events or projects, and was unable to attend
Communicate, please do get in touch off-list, and please do join in the
discussions and plans as we aim to work in a coordinated way.  I think
it would be fantastic if the UK were to make a big splash in this
international celebration - we also have a real opportunity to lead this
into the 2012 games - the first sustainable games, and the number of
related projects swelling around this.

Joanna, thanks for bringing this up!!

Savita

______________________________
Savita Custead
Director
Bristol Natural History Consortium
c/o Bristol Zoo Gardens
Clifton, Bristol BS8 3HA
T: +44 (0)117 370 0973

M: +44 (0)777 336 1042

E: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

W: www.bnhc.org.uk <http://www.bnhc.org.uk/>

Bristol Natural History Consortium is a collaboration between Avon
Wildlife Trust, BBC, Bristol City Council, Bristol Zoo Gardens,
Environment Agency, Defra, University of Bristol, The University of the
West of England, Wildscreen, and Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust .

Registered Charity: 1123432

This message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl
<http://www.blackspider.com/>

send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]