There's an interview between Peter Kravitz and James Kelman at the Edinburgh
International book Festival last year, where Jim talks a bit about "Nice to
be Nice".

"With some of these stories, it was good to finish them. I appreciated that
with stories like Nice to be Nice, which ends the collection, which is
written in a kind of phonetic transcription of a Glasgow speaking voice.
That was a very tricky one to do and it took umpteen drafts. I don't know
how many drafts of that story I went through, with different ways of
spelling things. I refer to it in the afterword. It was a really tricky one.
In fact, when I reprinted it in another collection, I changed it, but I left
the first one as it was."

    http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:14fza4WwM64J:www.edbookfest.co.uk/readings/documents/JamesKelman07.doc+%22Nice+To+Be+Nice%22+kelman&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=uk

Robin