Eek. Whenever I read such sentiments, I feel worried. As if art
justifies or redeems the darkest or even the most banal of human
crimes. Much as I value art, I can't value any work, however masterly,
over a human life. To do so empties art of all its possible meaning
and makes it wittingly or not the tool of power.

Yes, this despite Tamberlaine and Samarkand, etc etc. A dilemma I am
still to resolve. Even now, our meanest luxuries come at a huge human
cost. This may be the fact, but I can't find anything redemptive or
triumphant in it.

xA

Showing that Old Master methods
--