Dear Carlos

Not all observations are arguments, nor do they need to be - hence the
binary opposition of Argument/Non-argument.

Becoming aware of a tendency is part of a  general critical awareness in
practice - it might be a critique that expands our awareness - it might
just be a comment that could help improve things in a routine way.
Whatever, we need to attend.

cheers

keith russell
OZ Newcastlee

GK VanPatter indicates the need Œ... to resist the temptation to create
idealized notions of design ...¹.

However, I was struck by his wild guess (quoted below) as it does not
correspond with my experience of design education in the UK. No current
postgraduate  programmes that I know of in graphic design, interior
architecture, art direction, motion graphics, sustainable product design
-
as tutor, examiner or colleague - set briefs but these are set by the
designers themselves.

One of the ways by which uncertainty is usually managed is to split
issues
into binary oppositions, whereby one of the two terms is prioritized
(idealized) while the other vilified. e. g., theory - practice; tame -
wicked; leadership - management; and in this case, design industry -
design
education.

To infer a binary opposition from a wild guess lacks the necessary
rigour to
be considered an argument.

Carlos Sapochnik
Middlesex University