From: jwitte <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: dignity/respecting the priorities of others
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 9:53 AM

I find this discussion most interesting. I sometimes wonder if we in health
care, however, have a skewed perspective of what others' priorities may be.
We are educated to believe that physical health (and mental health) should be a
primary goal for every person. I do not believe this is so for everyone. For
example, family, or intellectual study or spirituality may be most significant
in someone's life.   A person may persist in an unhealthy employment,
because it supports the family well, or maintain a sedentary lifestyle because
there is such deep gratification to be gained from study, or appear unmotivated
to pursue life saving therapies-- because they are satisfied with their life and
comfortable with death spiritually.

I agree that we must educate patients well, but we shouldn't feel we or
they have failed if they choose to make choices we consider unwise.