Bear asks and states,

 >> "Who decides what constitutes "respecting the dignity" of another person? I am inclined to think that it is presumptuous as well as potentially sexist, classist, and racist, as well as intellectually dishonest, to assume that one knows when another person's dignity will be disrespected. ... Truth trumps dignity any day."

Wow!!! What seems to be implied here is that what constitutes respecting the dignity of another changes from person to person, group to group, culture to culture, etc.. First, on what basis should I accept this "truth"? Second, if what you say is true, then it would seem that a nurse will have to accept and act by a patient's view of what constitutes dignity for her/him (her/his version of truth re: dignity). Here, is "truth trump(ing) dignity"?

June