Yes, symbolic actions are often of great significance.  I was involved with such activities (of a non-religious kind in my case) in the 1980s at the height of the peace movement and I think they were worth doing.  Inevitably, in matters of conscience of that sort, some of the symbolic acts, religious or secular, were interpreted as offensive and threatening by our “opponents”, despite our best intentions.

This illustrates Savina’s point that ‘disagreeable’ is in the eye of the beholder.  It also illustrates how difficult it is in practice to maintain the distinction recommended by Maxlorraine, between criticising what someone says rather than who they are.  This is because people often see their moral and religious beliefs as being intimately welded to their innermost being.  Hence, in debates about racism, sexism, abortion, nuclear weapons, religious beliefs and the like, people may take questioning of their opinions as criticisms of themselves.  For example, it would be difficult for me, as an outsider, to criticise the American gun laws or your commercial health system without people’s patriotic hackles rising.

Human interactions are very complex: I have spent a lifetime trying to get them right and still blunder along.

Trevor.

From: A list to promote discussion of philosophical issues in nursing [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Harper, Margaret Monica
Sent: 14 November 2008 08:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: pointless to argue

Or a symbol maybe Trevor, for example the fast the Dominicans held following President Bush's decision to enter the war with Iraq. Some would see it as meaningless but surely other potent symbols, such as non-violence, have proved their worth. I'm reminded of a quotation by Timothy Radcliffe, ex magister of the Domicans. I paraphrase but the sense is that when we find ourselves disagreeing vehemently with someone, if we can find a wider truth that we can agree on and proceed from there, this can be a way of generating purposeful dialogue with those whose views we just can't sign up to. For example the imprtance of living together in some kind of settled peace allowed movement forward following the wars in Mozambique and the atrocities committed during the apartheid era in South Africa.

Margaret.