Beautifully put Trevor!

bear

--- On Tue, 11/11/08, Trevor Hussey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
From: Trevor Hussey <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: And now for something completely different...
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 2:34 PM

To both,

‘Disagree’ is a descriptive word; ‘disagreeable’ is an evaluative word.  Part of the problem may lie in the fact that some people are so wedded to their ideas, or so fond of them, that someone who disagrees is seen as disagreeable simply for that reason.  For example, even to question some religious ideas is seen as blasphemous and morally wrong.  Another part of the problem is that disagreement can be expressed in different ways, some more blunt than others, but what is succinct for one is rude to another.

Similarly it seems reasonable to use mild humour – to poke fun at an idea if it seems ridiculous.  A lot of very fine philosophical writing would be lost if this were not permitted – think of Russell, Quine, Rorty, Dennett etc.

Finally, I wonder if being disagreeable is always wrong?  In academic debate it almost certainly is, but what if your opponent is a fascist or a fanatic?  Perhaps it would still be pointless and inappropriate, but this is not obvious.

Trevor.