I would just like to add a brief note about the fact that while we may know 'what works' - this is usually a about appropriate interventions. The key word is 'appropriate'. To attend a a patient's 'good',  'best interests' etc we do need to know something about the patient and their contexts and that means some sort of engagement with a patient to understand what that might be (given a person who is able to communicate - we have, for the most part, other options to learn about a person's likely desires when they cannot - of course there are always exceptions). This involves a 'seeking to know' rather than a 'telling', 'informing' or 'educating'. It also involves not jumping to conclusions based on the 'received view' of the person or the label that person has been assigned by others in the setting or environment.  I feel like this is a bit of a 'duh!' but in interacting with people at all levels of healthcare including students - I find that it might be known intellectually !
 but it isn't always practiced. Pam